When we started in 2014 our focus was on setting up our distillery and our own production. As such we opted not to offer private casks.
5 years later we still regularly receive emails from customers asking about the availability of private casks. Recently, we’ve had a bit of time to reflect on what it would mean to our loyal customers and us.
We believe that we’re now in the perfect position to offer private casks to our customers. We have worked to grow our reputation, and we know that we can provide a quality, consistent product.
We’re giving you the opportunity to own your own 20L Hobart Whisky cask.
You pay upfront for the cask, and 20 litres of our Hobart Whisky single malt spirit. We fill your cask and leave it to mature at our bond store in Hobart for a minimum of two years.
We will be available to provide samples on request so that you can check the progress of your cask, or by appointment you will be able to visit and grab a sample yourself.
While your cask is technically whisky in two years, it’s important to understand that it may take slightly longer. At a guess, we don’t suspect we would be bottling for two and a half years, however each cask is different and they will be assessed cask by cask to ensure quality.
Following maturation your cask will have had some losses (the angel’s share). We anticipate there to be 14-16L at around 60% abv. At this point we will have the conversation about bottling and abv.
If we’re bottling for you we will provide you with 5x 10ml samples, from 46% through to natural cask strength, and discuss how you want to proceed.
Whether bottled on site or provided to you in bulk, at this point we will calculate the government excise tax due (estimated to be around $800-$900), which will need to be settled prior to dispatch of the whisky. Bottles can be collected from our distillery or sent with a courier at your expense.
As one of the first Hobart Whisky private cask owners you will be eligible to the following exclusive benefits;
- Your name will be etched into a plaque and displayed in our private tasting room.
- A sample of the new make spirit that your cask is filled with.
- You can organise a time to come and see your cask and pull a sample (by appointment).
- You will be invited to an exclusive event at our distillery to be held mid 2021.
- A 5% discount on all Hobart Whisky purchased through our online store for the life of your cask.
We have three cask options available, all recoopered for us by our friends at Transwood Cooperage and are as follows:
- 20L Ex-Tennessee Whiskey Cask (Jack Daniels Select).
- 20L Ruby Port Cask (from North Portugal).
- 20L Oloroso Sherry Cask (30 years old).
This is new territory for us and to ensure that it does not interfere with our ongoing pursuit to make great whisky we are limiting our private cask sales. This allows us to ensure the highest quality new make spirit, casks and cask filling conditions.
- $2350 – 20L Ex-Tennessee Whiskey Cask (Jack Daniels Select).
- $2400 – 20L Ruby Port Cask (from North Portugal).
- $2450 – 20L Oloroso Sherry Cask (30 years old).
(All prices include gst.)
Further Expenses (following maturation)
- Excise (estimated to be $800-$900).
- (optional) Bottling Fee ($10 p/bottle).
- (optional) Freight on bottles and/or cask (TBD).
It is imperative that you understand the conditions, additional cost, and risks of a private cask which are covered on our recent post.
By purchasing you agree that you acknowledge these conditions.
For enquiries please email email@example.com